The Resource Everyday survival : why smart people do stupid things
- Everyday survival : why smart people do stupid things
- Title remainder
- why smart people do stupid things
- Statement of responsibility
- Laurence Gonzales
- "This book is an attempt to explain why modern man makes mistakes that his ancestors, or even self-respecting chimpanzees, would never make. Laurence Gonzales shows how modern society has made us lazy and susceptible to previously unknown threats."
- "In his earlier book, Deep Survival, Gonzales examined extreme situations - people caught in avalanches and forest fires or lost in the wilderness - to determine which physical and psychological characteristics correlate most closely with survival. In this new book his focus is on the familiar, the everyday, the situations in which we are comfortable and believe ourselves, mistakenly, to be perfectly safe. A respected scientist takes his infant son out shopping on a hot day and leaves him, by mistake, locked in the car. This is a true story; the child died. Another man - in this case the author - comes within inches of picking up a deadly snake because he is reminded of his grandmother's ceramic ashtray. In each case, the man in question was working from a mental script that did not match the requirements of the real-world situation."
- "Gonzales turns his talent for gripping narrative, knowledge of the way our minds and bodies work, and bottomless curiosity about the world to the topic of how we can best use the lessons of our evolutionary history to overcome the hazards of everyday life. He finds that natural laws profoundly affect our actions, and he reveals the hidden causes and costs of our behavior, whether as individuals or as a species whose decisions may be leading to darker times."--BOOK JACKET
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .G6255 2008
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
ContextContext of Everyday survival : why smart people do stupid things
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Everyday survival : why smart people do stupid things
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/0DVQ6z6EZ9g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/0DVQ6z6EZ9g/">Everyday survival : why smart people do stupid things</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/#Deakin%20University%20Library"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/">Deakin University Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Deakin University Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...