The Resource Islands in history and representation, edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith
- Islands in history and representation, edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith
- Statement of responsibility
- edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith
- "This book originates from a conference that the editors co-convened at the University of Kent in 1999."--Acknowledgements
- Bibliography note
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -223) and index
- 1. Taking history offshore: Atlantic islands in European minds, 1400-1800 / John R. Gillis -- 2. Island bounds / Gillian Beer -- 3. 'The cane-land isles': commerce and empire in late eighteenth-century georgic and pastoral poetry / Markman Ellis -- 4. Bulama and Sierra Leone: utopian islands and visionary interiors / Deirdre Coleman -- 5. Pacific island encounters and the German invention of race / Vanessa Agnew -- 6. Cook in Tonga: terms of trade / Harriet Guest -- 7. Pitcairn's 'guilty stock': the island as breeding ground / Vanessa Smith -- 8. Abject bodies/abject sites: leper islands in the high imperial era / Rod Edmond -- 9. Derek Walcott's Omeros: representing St. Lucia, re-presenting Homer / Roger Moss -- 10. The island of wandering souls: processes of creolisation, politics of emancipation and the problematic of absence on Reunion Island / Francoise Verges -- 11. God save the Falklands: postcolonial geographies of the Falklands/Malvinas / Klaus Dodds
- Control code
- 24 cm
- xii, 234 p.
- Isbn Type
- (hbk. : alk. paper)
- Other physical details
- System control number
ContextContext of Islands in history and representation, edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Instance Islands in history and representation, edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/JOMo3RvfJxY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Instance"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/JOMo3RvfJxY/">Islands in history and representation, edited by Rod Edmond and Vanessa Smith</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/#Deakin%20University%20Library"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/">Deakin University Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Deakin University Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...