The Resource Synthetic aesthetics : investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature
- Synthetic aesthetics : investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature
- Title remainder
- investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature
- Statement of responsibility
- Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg, Jane Calvert, Pablo Schyfter, Alistar Elfick, and Drew Endy, with additional contributors
- "Synthetic biology manipulates the stuff of life. For synthetic biologists, living matter is programmable material. In search of carbon-neutral fuels, sustainable manufacturing techniques, and innovative drugs, these researchers aim to redesign existing organisms and even construct completely novel biological entities. Some synthetic biologists see themselves as designers, inventing new products and applications. But if biology is viewed as a malleable, engineerable, designable medium, what is the role of design and how will its values apply?In this book, synthetic biologists, artists, designers, and social scientists investigate synthetic biology and design. After chapters that introduce the science and set the terms of the discussion, the book follows six boundary-crossing collaborations between artists and designers and synthetic biologists from around the world, helping us understand what it might mean to 'design nature.' These collaborations have resulted in biological computers that calculate form; speculative packaging that builds its own contents; algae that feeds on circuit boards; and a sampling of human cheeses. They raise intriguing questions about the scientific process, the delegation of creativity, our relationship to designed matter, and, the importance of critical engagement. Should these projects be considered art, design, synthetic biology, or something else altogether?Synthetic biology is driven by its potential; some of these projects are fictions, beyond the current capabilities of the technology. Yet even as fictions, they help illuminate, question, and even shape the future of the field."
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- LC call number
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
ContextContext of Synthetic aesthetics : investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Synthetic aesthetics : investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/K82DsMyjW0k/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/K82DsMyjW0k/">Synthetic aesthetics : investigating synthetic biology's designs on nature</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/#Deakin%20University%20Library"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/">Deakin University Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Deakin University Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...