The Resource The invisible dragon : essays on beauty
- The invisible dragon : essays on beauty
- Title remainder
- essays on beauty
- Statement of responsibility
- Dave Hickey
- "The Invisible Dragon made a lot of noise for a little book When it was originally published in 1993 it was championed by artists for its forceful call for a reconsideration of beauty - and savaged by more theoretically oriented critics who dismissed the very concept of beauty as naive, igniting a debate that has shown no sign of flagging."
- "With this revised and expanded edition, Hickey is back to fan the flames. More manifesto than polite discussion, more call to action than criticism, The Invisible Dragon aims squarely at the hyper-institutionalism that, in Hickey's view, denies the real pleasures that draw us to art in the first place. Deploying the artworks of Warhol, Raphael, Caravaggio, and Mapplethorpe and the writings of Ruskin, Shakespeare, Deleuze, and Foucault, Hickey takes on museum culture, arid academicism, sclerotic politics, and more - all in the service of making readers rethink the nature of art. A new introduction provides a context for earlier essays - what Hickey calls his "intellectual temper tantrums." A new essay, "American Beauty," concludes the volume with a historical argument that is a rousing paean to the inherently democratic nature of attention to beauty."
- "Written with a verve that is all too rare in serious criticism, this expanded and refurbished edition of The Invisible Dragon will be sure to captivate a new generation of readers, provoking the passionate reactions that are the hallmark of great criticism."--BOOK JACKET
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- no index present
- LC call number
- LC item number
- .H47 2009
- Literary form
- non fiction
ContextContext of The invisible dragon : essays on beauty
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The invisible dragon : essays on beauty
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/OdIqbb3lROE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/resource/OdIqbb3lROE/">The invisible dragon : essays on beauty</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/#Deakin%20University%20Library"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.library.deakin.edu.au/">Deakin University Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Deakin University Library. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...